Fast facts regarding the water access in Africa:
- Africa is the world’s second-driest continent
- With 15 per cent of the global population, it has only 9 per cent of global renewable water resources
- Water is unevenly distributed and Africa’s climate is characterized by an overall unreliability of rainfall
- Increases in access to improved drinking water sources and sanitation facilities are not keeping pace with population growth
- Water scarcity is not simply due to geography: population growth, rapid urbanization, poor planning and povertyare significant factors
Read the fascinating Africa Water Atlas and the report of The United Nations Environment Programme they've released along with the report. This Atlas is a visual account of Africa's endowment and use of water resources. It brings to light the numerous challenges faced for the access to water across the continent. Among them : access to drinkable water, access to adequate sanitation, meet the growing demand etc....
The presentation of the Water Atlas can be downloadable here.
via Paul Kedrosky's blog