Pius Njawe, 1957-2010

Pius Njawe, pionnier de la liberté de la presse et fondateur du premier journal indépendant Camerounais Le Messager est décédé dans un accident de voiture aux États-Unis le 12 Juillet dernier.

Hommage d'Allain Jules.

Pius Njawe in his own words by Dibussi Tande.

"I have been a journalist since the age of 15. I started as an errand boy at a newspaper called Semences africaines, in the city of Yaoundé, Cameroon. Over the past 34 years, I have been arrested 126 times while carrying out my profession as a journalist. Physical and mental torture, death threats, the ransacking of my newsroom, etc., has often been my daily lot in a situation where repression and corruption, even within the press, have become the norm. [...]   
I entered journalism the way you enter a religion; journalism is my religion."
Rest in Peace, you fought the good fight. 

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

There are things we don't want to happen, but have to accept. Jennifer "JJ" Jareau